Last night I was knitting for a bit on the garter st scarf when I decided that it was too boring. So, I pulled out the
thread yarn and cast on for the Pinwheel Lace Shawl. It was more fun than I expected, but I did run into a couple of snags.
First, I think I might need to go up a needle size. I bought a size 1 circ, but am thinking that a size 2 might be better. However, I am way too cheap to spring for another needle. Then, I got inspired and dug through the stash of needles I inherited from my great-grandmother. I found a pair of size 2 straights (I never use straights - hate them, too much strain on my wrists) but the tip on one of them was bent. Not just a bend in the needle from being used, but the super pointy (yeah! - the circ I purchased was too dull) tip looked as if it had been dropped right on the point. Being the cheapskate that I am frugal, I thought about it for a bit and realized that I might be able to heat the tip on the gas stove and bend it straight, or at least straighter. It worked like a dream. It did burn off the pretty pink coating, but hey - I get to use Grandma's needles, how cool is that!
Second, I discovered that I was not able to keep an accurate stitch count. How big a problem this will be, remains to be seen.
Third, I realized that I don't have an available row counter. I guess this means that I will need to finish up either the Clapotis or the felted hat. Or, I could stop by Joann's and pick up another set, but somehow, it seems like I should be able to survive with 2 of them. Because of the problems with the stitch count, I ripped it all out. I was only about 15 rows in, so it wasn't a big deal.
I am enjoying Clapotis more than I thought I would. It is fun to see the stitches run and know that it is intentional. The colors are lining up well also, not too much pooling or flashing, but enough so that it doesn't look stupid.
The second very pink hat is progressing. Sorry, no pictures of this as it is an exact repeat.