Monday, May 22, 2006

Lace and other projects

I am not entirely sure that I am in love with this lace pattern. It appears to be well written. I have been following the chart and haven't found any errors. Generally, when there are mistakes, they are mine, a yarn over missed or that slipped over a marker. A part of me wants to knit something more like the Tina shawl, with loads of different motifs and patterns and a frilly, lacey edge. On the other hand, this is a nice simple pattern, with only 12 rows and 20 stitches in a repeat. Easy to learn, nothing too complicated. Good to see that this photographs so clearly. NOT.

I'm glad that I have read loads of tips on knitting lace, most importantly, how to use lifelines. I had just finished the first repeat of the pattern and was counting and recounting stitches, when I saw IT. A dropped stitch. That had unraveled several rows. My heart stopped. At this point, I am such a novice lace knitter that I chose to frog back to the lifeline. All is well now and I have started the second repeat. Clapotis is moving along well. I have started the second skein and have fallen victim to the classic dilemma of hand painted yarns. They don't match. Take a look at the pictures from the beginning of the scarf compared to the end by the needle. The teal is much more prominent in the second skein and is pooling horrendously. However as this FO will not stay at my house, I think I can live with it.

It also touches a nerve because I CANNOT tolerate scarves that are not reversible, such as My So Called Scarf. While the front is amazing - the stitch pattern is simple beyond belief, but what a pretty fabric, the back is booooriiiiing. But again, this is not staying here, so I will suck it up.

front

back

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually really like the way the back fabric looks, at least based on that photo. As for the lifeline, I think you have to be a really, really, really experienced knitter to recover a stitch dropped through lace, so don't feel inexperienced for frogging.

If the pooling for Clapotis is bugging you too much, you could frog back to where you joined the new ball and knit alternating between two balls.

Everything looks great!

5/23/2006 06:00:00 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I had never really heard of lifelines, I guess it is an American thing and not widely used here, but what a great idea, saves a lot of heartache as Rachel mentioned you have to be super experienced to pick up dropped stitches in lace.

We have discussed pooling at our knitting group and most of us actually like pooling, are we weird or what?? I just think that it adds to the whole hand dyed thing. But hey if you aren't happy with it do a bit of cutting and shutting ;) after all it is YOUR garment.

5/26/2006 12:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home