Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Random Tuesdays

Yep - got a whole lot of little things... or nothin' depending on your point of view. 1. Last week I posted a comment on the Yarn Harlot, something I don't do all that frequently, but by chance, I was in the first 10 or so comments, so I wouldn't have been the 20 bazillionth person to say the same inane thing (nope, one of the first this time). Then, the most amazing thing happened. She. Replied. To. My. Comment. I will never delete that email. My lone brush with fame - excuse me while I swoon. 2. The scale has turned out to be quite the fun toy. I have diligently split several skeins of sock yarn. Nothing too exciting, so no pics. Really, they are just 2 smaller balls of yarn. Use your imaginations here. It was great fun to do it knowing that it was accurate to within a gram! Why yes, I do have anal-retentive tendencies, thank you so kindly for noticing. 3. My new lace pattern arrived today. I can't wait to cast on, again. This time, I am trying the Peacock Feathers Shawl from Fiddlesticks. I am intrigued by knitting variations of the same pattern. I asked a few questions over at knitters review and got some more advice about the Merino Oro. I was shocked to see that they recommended a size 3 needle for this thread yarn due to the bloom. I hadn't thought to test block it, but will shortly. 4. I finally got around to felting the 2 hats I had. The second VPH came out just like the first - no real surprise there. Imagine - using the same yarn, needles and pattern and getting the same results - it boggles the mind. Predictable results, what a concept.

I used the same pattern and the thick and thin wool that I overdyed and got the largest hat imaginable, even after felting. It can only be called extra-large if you are being overly kind. *Freaking* gigantic is more like it. The thing is huge on my 21" head. Here's hoping there is a woman with an overly large head that wants a honkin' purple hat. Any takers?

I do like how the thick portions of the yarn created a scalloped edge on the brim. Not something I anticipated, but nonetheless, I like it quite a bit.

Felting is always so much more fun than I remember. I now have the itch to do more. Partly because the weather is heating up and lugging a sweater around just isn't my idea of fun. I am still working out a pattern I have for a felted purse. Hopefully I will get it figured out soon.

5. Speaking of sweaters, the tank progress, but until the split for the neck, it is BORING. Even the fun ribbing pattern doesn't jazz it up enough to pull me away from the shawl.

This particular pattern has me a bit nervous. By knitting it as written (except for adding a bit of length) I will be seaming my second sweater.* Yep - I've been knitting more than 10 years and have always found a way around seaming. I know that I simply need the right resources (including a glass of liquid courage). Thinking about this has made me accept the fact that until I seam this thing I will be just a lowly knitter, not the Knitter I picture myself as. (Sorry - I don't need to steek to be a Knitter - not yet anyway). Guess, I need to find out something about this thing called the mattress stitch.

*My first seamed sweater was a true disaster. Not one of the pieces fit with it's mate. In a fit of rage, I ripped out the entire thing and reknit it in the round. Yep. The whole damn thing. Now, I am thinking of reknitting it because I know a bit more about shaping and I have found that raglans are not the most flattering fit for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

The felt hats are awesome, I am yet to try my hand at felting.

Keep that email forever, did you print a copy and frame it!!

6/14/2006 12:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh too cool!! I wonder how many people she replies to? I've never actually commented on her blog. I always feel like my comment would be too insignificant to really matter.

The Peacock Feathers Shawl is the pattern I'm pretty sure I want to use on that purple thread I picked up at the fiber expo. Let me know how it goes for you!

Cute hats! Sorry, I like purple, but my head's pretty 'normal' sized ;-)

6/14/2006 02:49:00 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Your felted hats look like so much fun. I've been thinking about making some felted slippers before this winter starts.

6/14/2006 01:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home