Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Monday, August 28, 2006
Off the needles
I like this pattern, but would make the purl stripes swirl the opposite direction on one of the socks if I were to knit them again.Stats: Yarn: Shaffer's Lola - the colorway is no longer on their site. I adore this colorway much more than I had anticipated. At first I didn't like the teal, but it makes what could have been a very bland/boring sock great. I truly love the Lola yarns. I knit them up on US size 2 needles so they go pretty fast and make a very dense sock. This is the second one I have done and they are nice and sproingy. Heel: I changed from doing the heel stitch specified in the pattern and used the eye of partridge stitch instead. I am enthralled with how it comes out in hand painted yarn. Toe: The pattern was written to decrease down to 4 stitches and run the yarn through them all. I have very wide feet, so I increased the length of the foot and did my standard toe, decreasing to 24 stitches and kitchnering. BTW - have I mentioned that I like kitchnering as much as I like seaming? The first toe was fine, but that was last month. This second one was a bit more challenging. It probably didn't help that I stayed up way past my bedtime to get the darn thing done. It took at least 17 dozen tries because I kept repeating to myself "knit, purl" for the front needle. Okay, so far so good. Heading for the back needle now "knit, purl". DOH. *Frickafraca. Undo that. Okay, front needle "knit, purl". Yep, that looks okay. Deep breath, back needle "purl, knit". Yep, okay. No funny misplaced bumps. Front needle "knit, purl". Back needle "knit, purl". Where the hell did that purl bump come from. Repeat from * until no more stitches remain. Seriously. A retarded monkey could have done it faster. Not better, but faster. Eventually I got it right.
How sad is it that this is the one picture in which my ankles are visible that I don't have cankles. It truly is an injustice to an avid sock knitter to be cursed with ankles that would fit The Refridgerator Perry perfectly. Just as a side note, I discovered that I am not as flexible as I used to be. It is very difficult to photograph ones own toes in this fashion.
Sunday, August 27, 2006
Okay, I will tell you, but there is no photographic evidence. I had to start over/rip out the seams several time because a) I picked up the wrong horizontal bar and moved the seam over a stitch, b) I picked up the wrong horizontal bar and missed a row, c) my tension was all wonky and it looked like ruching not seaming. Bah, I prefer knitting in the round. I am struggling mightily with seaming the shoulders. No matter that I am matching stitch to stitch, the ribbing isn't lining up and I am not satisfied. I looks like crap.
The worst part are the directions for the back. I have seamed the shoulders before I am supposed to because the directions are exceedingly vague.
HUH? WTF does that mean? The schematic does not show this as being a halter top. I think that I am suppose to make the neckbands meet the back where I bound off a bunch of stitches, but unfortunately there is no photo of the back. I should have seen that as a red flag when deciding on the pattern. I am wondering if I am suppose to make the neck band go all the way around the back of the neckline to meet in the middle, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense as the neckline on the back is a square. Idiot designers. I checked and there is no errata for this pattern. I am going to try the shoulder seams again, but I am so not happy with this part of finishing.
Cont even on 13 st each side until neckbands, when slightly stretched, meet at center back of neck.
Saturday, August 26, 2006
A Nearly FO
Friday, August 18, 2006
So I fixed it.
I fixed all four increase lines.
I ended up doing a raised increase (my favorite increase) on the knit side on the right side and doing a raised increase on the purl side on the way back. Although the increases are off-set by a row, they mirror each other almost perfectly and most importantly (to me) they better match the K2tog and SSK decreases used throughout the garment without leaving the stair-step look.
Because I only have 3 skeins of the Cotton Fleece, once I divided for the neckline, I have been knitting off both ends of the 3rd skein. It drives me crazy. The situations is exacerbated by the fact that there was a tremendous yarn-barf at some point and I ended up with a glob of yarn that tangled around everything. I now have the big skein from which I am knitting off the outside and a smaller center-pull ball that was the yarn-barf that is coming from the inside of the skein. I nearly grabbed the ball winder and a pair of scissors, but ended up light-headed just thinking about joins and ends and whatifIcutinthewrongspot and no spit-splice and howwillthenendsholdupinthewasher. I think I will just suffer through the twisty, crazy-making snarl of yarn that ensues. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but at the beginning of summer our next door neighbor who was quite elderly passed away. (This was a blessing, she was in poor health and significant pain. She was able to remain at home until the end, which was exactly what she wanted.) She was an avid knitter and sewer and kept at both until her ailments prevented her from doing so. Earlier this week, I ran into one of the daughters who is cleaning out the house (imagine 50+ years of crap in the attic, basement and spare bedroom!) and we chatted for a bit. She said that they have organized more that 1000 (yes 1000) pieces of fabric to sell, not including what they were keeping themselves. I mentioned that I knit too and that Marie (the neighbor) and I used to talk about it a bit. I told her that I would love to purchase any knitting items that they are not keeping themselves because I collect old needles and patterns. Thankfully she took it properly and said that she would let me know. I can hardly contain my excitement. More stuff!