Sunday, August 27, 2006

Seaming sucks

I managed to seam the sides of the tank fairly well for a first timer, especially considering it is reverse stockinette. I am satisfied with it. (I won't tell you about the multiple false starts and panic moments. I don't mind looking stupid, but this would be beyond measure.)

Okay, I will tell you, but there is no photographic evidence. I had to start over/rip out the seams several time because a) I picked up the wrong horizontal bar and moved the seam over a stitch, b) I picked up the wrong horizontal bar and missed a row, c) my tension was all wonky and it looked like ruching not seaming. Bah, I prefer knitting in the round. I am struggling mightily with seaming the shoulders. No matter that I am matching stitch to stitch, the ribbing isn't lining up and I am not satisfied. I looks like crap.

The worst part are the directions for the back. I have seamed the shoulders before I am supposed to because the directions are exceedingly vague.

Cont even on 13 st each side until neckbands, when slightly stretched, meet at center back of neck.

HUH? WTF does that mean? The schematic does not show this as being a halter top. I think that I am suppose to make the neckbands meet the back where I bound off a bunch of stitches, but unfortunately there is no photo of the back. I should have seen that as a red flag when deciding on the pattern. I am wondering if I am suppose to make the neck band go all the way around the back of the neckline to meet in the middle, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense as the neckline on the back is a square. Idiot designers. I checked and there is no errata for this pattern. I am going to try the shoulder seams again, but I am so not happy with this part of finishing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...seaming sucks. I don't know if it's possible with your tank, but I really like using a three needle bind off for shoulder seams.

Good luck with all of those works in progress. ;-)

8/27/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I don't think there are many knitters who would say that they like sewing up seams, I hate it and it really can make or break a garment :(

Yours looks great though. Are you seaming using mattress stitch? This is the only way possible I can get my shoulders to match.

8/27/2006 06:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's a pain, but your seams look good!

8/28/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Seaming rev st st is always awful. Really, it's not just you. Good luck with the neck.

8/28/2006 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

meh. I hear ya. I hate seaming. I've got a cardigan I finished almost a year ago and it still needs seamed but isn't going together right, so I stuffed it in a bag and I'm pretending it doesn't exist.

8/28/2006 04:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home