Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Is it normal

to spend more time worrying about how I am going to bring the appropriate number and type of knitting projects on an upcoming business trip than the actual business of the trip itself? I mean, really, I have a carry on full of clothes etc that will go in the overhead compartment or will be checked gateside depending on the size of the plane. But, I also should bring the laptop from work so I can at least look like I am working. Which really means that I will not be able to bring a separate knitting bag. However, I just know that the flight will provide some sensational knitting time. Uninterupted knitting time. Perfect for the shawl that won't knit itself. On the other hand, I have a car ride out to a customer that is 1-1/2 hours each way in which I will NOT be driving. Again, perfect knitting time. For something simple. The tank or a sock. The choices are staggering here. I could also start the felted bag. It would appear that the knitting karma is reversing again, and I feel it would be prudent to start another new project. Just in case the others on hold in the basket felt they might possibly be picked up again. We wouldn't want them to get optimistic or anything. But, the bag is a stranded projects, and I don't think I want to juggle 2 balls in the car. So, strike the bag. Which brings me back to socks or the tank. Tank Pros
  1. Completely portable
  2. Yarn is already wound in compact balls.
  3. I know the pattern and won't have to pull it out much to consult.
  4. Circular needles can't get lost.
  5. A fast knit now that there are fewer stitches per row.

Tank Cons

  1. I think I know the pattern and this increases the likelihood that I will make a mistake of gartantuan proportions necessitating starting over. Again.
  2. Worsted Weight yarn = more space in suitcase.
  3. A fast knit requiring that I bring more extra yarn along. See the dilema at the top of this post.

Sock Pros

  1. Very small.
  2. Completely portable.
  3. I don't need a pattern (does this set off alarms bells for anyone else or are they just in my head?).
  4. I will get to use either the Koigu or the Schaeffer that I have wound up already. Yum.
  5. The odds that I will finish an entire sock on the trip are minimial so I will only need the one ball of yarn.
  6. It's really hot in Texas and these won't sit on my lap.

Sock Cons

  1. DPNs can get lost.
  2. After all of the swatching and lusting after Vintage Socks, I feel like I have lost the fever for socks.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say the socks, you could practically tuck them in your purse! And even if you don't know the pattern as much as you think you do, it's more obvious when you've messed up bad enough for it to be a problem.

But that's just me.

7/12/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No it's not normal to think of personal passions before work. Business should always come first! :) Actually, a fortune cookie once told me that "In life nothing comes before knitting". So since fortune cookies are of course the source of all great wisdom, you must be on the right track.

Go with the socks and only the socks because they would be great auto pilot items. Time will fly and conversations will need to be had. Anyways, the world needs more well knit socks - especially the crowd at the kraft fair.

I would suggest also starting the felted bag this weekend. The other projects in the basket can't be allowed to get a complex with too much attention. That could be another enjoyable factor of knitting, juggling multiple projects with different skill sets.

Cheers,
Sleepy

7/14/2006 01:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for socks, but I would also bring some yarn to start a hat. Just a little something to relieve any sock induced boredom. Have a fun and productive trip!

7/14/2006 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Totally normal, whenever I am packing to go anywhere the knitting project gets priority.

Socks, I always take socks when on the move, they are so transportable!!

7/15/2006 04:32:00 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I vote for the socks. Small yarn is a good thing. And it's very normal to pack yarn first. All the cool kids do.

7/15/2006 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I was good when I packed for my buisness trip. Had brought only 2 projects: Clapotis for my Secret Pal8 spoilee and the Diamond Fantasy Shawl for a friend. BUT... When I went home for July 4th weekend, that was another story. I had about 5 projects!
=:8

7/18/2006 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the dilema. I've been traveling a lot this summer and have had a lot of trouble deciding which projects to bring. I usually pack way more than I need. But I'm a good girlscout, and am always prepared! :) Socks are a good travel choice.

7/18/2006 06:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I do that too! I was so looking forward to my last biz trip, simply for the 3-hour flight...no emails, no phone calls, just my knitting.

8/15/2006 01:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home