Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ying and Yang

Ying. I am so unbelievably irritated tonight. According to the business card that I picked up the last time I was at the snooty yarn shop, they are open until 8 pm on Thursdays. Says so, right on the card. Anyone else see this as a bad omen? So, I took the craptastic skein of Koigu with me to work and planning to go all the way to the other side of town afterwards to exchange it for the 2 that they are holding for me. (I called about that earlier this week. I am not so confident that I will have enough with just one skein per sock.) I stop home quickly on my way to the shop to get Eric after his exam (more on that later) and we set off to the other side of town. The conversation was excellent; we haven’t talked this much in almost 2 months. I grab my knitting bag and climb out of the car thinking that the windows of the @#$#%& store look pretty dark. Sure enough, the hours posted on the window do NOT match what is on their business card. The one I just freakin’ got. I swear, once this yarn thing is straightened out, I am not going back. I don’t care how much great sock yarn and hand paints they have. I. Will. Not. Yang. As I mentioned already, Eric took his board exam today. We have to wait 6 excruciatingly long weeks to get the results. (I’d ask you to keep your fingers crossed, but that would make it hard to knit.) So, tonight, we went out to celebrate. Eric will pick up Caleb tomorrow, so we are childless for the evening. And here I am blogging instead of having a wild night with the hubby. So much for middle age! We had a very nice dinner – spent way more money than we should have, but hey we don’t do it often. I am keeping this short so I can work on the tank top. I have started the armhole shaping on the back and am almost done with the bust increases on the front. I have started into the last skein – think happy, yarn lengthening thoughts. I am too lazy to take pics tonight, but hope to have it nearly finished soon.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just goes to show that you shouldn't mess with a girl and her fiber--no reason to go back, especially if the store was snooty to begin with. Besides, there are lots of independent spinners and dyers that would love the business.

As for Eric's board exam, we'll keep our cables crossed. :-)

Marisa

6/23/2006 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pre-Congrats! The Yang sounds that much better. Just focus on that stuff and all else won't matter.

I don't know how much yarn costs, but I know how I would handle it at this point. I would UPS the yarn back to the shop with a well written "up-yours" letter included.

I'd tell them to keep their yarn, poor customer service, and snooty attitude. The continued poor experiences aren't even worth your additional trip down there. Wish them the best in retaining customers in a small market with their attitudes. To top it off you could add a statement about negative press with a local knitting group and over public websites/blogs.

Seriously, I'd write off the expense so far and make a statement to them. Flush the store and experiences from your mind. There are too many other people who would be glad to sell you products.

Have fun,
Mr. Boots

6/23/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Good luck to Eric!

6/23/2006 02:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking back at other posts of yours and loved your hats. I wonder if I can get around to trying something like that.

All the best to Eric for his Boards

Peace and calm re the yarn. Your getting an ulcer won't hurt them.
P.S. this identity and password stuff gives me problems.

6/24/2006 01:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How frustrating on the closed store! I wonder if they even realize that their cards don't match. UGH.

I have no LYS, but it hasn't seemed to slow my stash aquisition. The UPS man and USPS lady are my accomplices

6/25/2006 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I KNEW IT!! You and I both know how they can be at the yarn store! I would go in, get your money back and tell them you are going to tell EVERY knitter you know not to shop there! You know how bad I hate going in there and I will be the first to step up to the plate and say that I SUPPORT KRIS and SHE'S NOT KNOTS! (get it? Nuts....Knots!) Hee! Hee!

Good luck with the board exam!

6/27/2006 03:25:00 PM  
Blogger Lotta said...

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the store as well as the yarn. :/ I would just stay out of that place, too...

Hope the Yang works! Good luck to Eric with his boards!

6/29/2006 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Don't you just wish you could repeat the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts gets to gloat after the snooty store has treated her badly? I agree with the others. Get whatever money back you can and get out of there! There are too many good businesses out there or online to support ones that don't treat us well. We should get a knitters' t-shirt that lets stores know that if they are nice to us, we'll spend money... lots of money!

And good luck to Eric and your household during the wait time. I've always found this to be the most stressful time of any application or test process. There's nothing you can do to improve your situation, no studying or working, just waiting. It always makes me feel so helpless. But eventually you remember that even worrying won't help so you relax a bit... and run to the mailbox every day hoping for the right answer! Maybe you could teach him to knit so he can worry about yarnovers and such rather than test results.

7/02/2006 11:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home