Monday, February 13, 2006

Day 4

Yep, still no real progress. I have gotten to the point that I am ready to turn for the hem, but am not liking anything about this project. I bought the wool before I realized that I didn't really like Elann's Peruvian Highland. I think it would be great for felting, but I think it tends to run a bit thin for worsted and I can never get anything close to the recommended gauge with it. Then tonight Eric casually asks if I the hat I am working on is his. I confirm for the upteenth time that it is and that I am making it to matched the cabled scarf. He mentions that he thinks this might be too girly to have cables on a hat.

So, back to the drawing board. I'm not really all that heart broken because I discovered that when I first started knitting that I had purchased a LOT of really cheap Susan Bates needles. I don't mind them in 24" or longer, but that thick cable on the 16" is killing my wrist. So, I am reswatching to do a simple ribbed cap. It will still have a hem because I will be adding a polar fleece lining to counter-act the itch factor with this yarn. Here's hoping that the size 5 needles will produce a fabric I am happy with.

As promised, here is a picture of the socks that I have my mom for Christmas. These were knit from Schaeffer Yarn's Lola, which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. For some reason every picture we took of them came out a bit blurry. She loves them, and I am happy because I got 2 pairs worth of yarn from Mom to knit into socks for her. As if I need more projects on my plate.

Well, I'm off to watch pairs skating and swatch AGAIN!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your swatching. I just cast on for the second time and now I'm not getting gauge at all....argh! It most be those pesky knitting gremlins....

2/14/2006 12:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed at all that swatching. In my house, a hat *is a swatch. I figure the hat will fit someone, if not the intended recipient. And cabled hats are not just for girls. Ask my husband, whom I have to tell that to all the time as he slinks out of the house in his girly cabled hat.

2/16/2006 09:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home