Monday, February 06, 2006

More about the Rowan Sweater

The KO sweater will indeed be my own design. I happen to have an unnatural significant difference between the circumfrence of my hips and my waist. I'm talking close to 14". So, combined with a frightful concerning shortage of yarn, I have to design this baby myself. Having never done this before adds quite a wrinkle to the deadline. The cast-on and the shaping up to the arm-scye doesn't phase me at all. However, I've never done a sweater with set-in sleeves much less designed it on the fly. It should be interesting to say the least. At the moment, the plan is to have about 10% negative ease for the body. Since it is an Aran weight yarn and the swatch (washed and blocked, thank you very much) knit up very quickly, I am hoping that there is a chance for this to come together. To speed things up, I am doing the body in the round. To ensure that I don't have sleeves of different lengths, I am planning on picking them up and knitting them down (at the same time) until I run out. Hopefully, I get close to at least 3/4 length sleeves. My actual goal, given that I am going out of town on the night of the Opening Cermemony is to complete the body by the time the games are over, anything more than that is icing on the cake. Oh yes, lets not forget the other hinderances challenges to the process:
  • Working full time
  • A very active 3 year old boy
  • My dear husband who is in the middle of his second year of medical school and not much help with Bubba* (the preschooler) or the house.

*Names changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

Here's to insanity, thy name is Knitter.

Here is a picture of Bubba in his prime after a visit to the local children's museum. Can you guess what the craft project was? The crumpled yellow bit above his left eye is a flower. Obviously.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Kris, just stopping by to say hi. I love your 'Blaze' by the way.

2/06/2006 02:53:00 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Hey, I'm designing my own sweater, too! I have a top-down Barbara Walker on the needles for my 9-yr old. It's basically a raglan sweatshirt--so no fancy stuff. I've got the yarn, swatch-in-progress for KO, must figure out pattern ASAP. Good luck--I'll be looking for updates.

2/07/2006 11:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home